According to YouGov only 30% of British people wash their bedding at least once per week.[i] Dirty bedding can affect your health causing allergic reactions, illness, infections and spread viruses.
Health Conditions Exacerbated by Dirty Sheets
Dust and bacteria thrive in warm environments such as your bed and bedding, so unwashed bedsheets can contribute to existing health or skin problems.
- Eczema: dirty bedsheets can worsen symptoms of eczema. Fabric can irritate skin when it rubs against it. Dead skin cells and dust particles can collect in sheets and irritate skin, especially if bed is too warm and sweating occurs
- Acne: while acne isn’t caused by bad hygiene, dirty sheets and pillowcases can be partly to blame. Embedded dirt, dead skin and bacteria can clog pores, The longer you wait to clean sheets, the more bacteria can build up in sheets and can worsen acne on your face or body
- Asthma: asthma symptoms can worsen if you do not regularly clean your bedsheets. Dust mites and dust particles can live in the bedding, mattress and pillowcase, as they thrive in humid conditions
- Pneumonia: pneumonia is a type of chest infection than can make breathing more difficult. Bedsheets can host a range of bacteria including Strep. Pneumoniae. Washing bedsheets regularly is an effective way to remove bacteria living on your sheets.
Spotlight on Dust Mite Allergies
Dust mites are a common allergy among people with asthma; over 50% of people with allergic asthma have a dust mite sensitivity. Dust mites are microscopic bugs that live in close contact with humans.
Their preferred habitat is unsurprisingly dust; which is made up of hair, dander, dead skin, insects and mould. An important component of the dust mite diet is mould that grows on the dead skin that they consume. The mould softens and partially digests the skin cells, allowing them to be more efficiently processed by the dust mite.
Washing sheets and pillowcases frequently can help reduce the levels of dust mites and bacteria on bedding as well as dust mite excrement. With SilverGuard bed linen, the IONIC+ silver thread technology works to eliminate the fungi that dust mite rely on to survive, therefore eliminating their ecosystem.
SilverGuard Bedding and your Health
Benefits of IONIC+ silver thread technology in SilverGuard bedding products include:
- Antimicrobial Benefits: for example, silver is ideal in preventing living conditions that dust mites thrive in. This is especially welcome for people suffering from allergies of all types, including dust mite allergies. The silver thread has antimicrobial properties which can help ease the itchiness of eczema and other skin conditions and soothe broken and irritated skin. The IONIC+ silver technology also prevents bacteria from building up on already broken skin which can cause further soreness and infection.
- Kind to Skin: the silver thread is also beneficial in helping the appearance of your skin, including reducing instances of acnes and reducing wrinkles. The antibacterial properties can help eliminate any harmful bacteria that can get to your skin and cause problems. SilverGuard is also the only textiles brand that is Dermatologically Accredited by the Skin Health Alliance so you can rest assured that our products are safe for your skin.
- Ease of Care: with the silver thread in bedding providing antimicrobial properties, you can go longer between washes and cleaning. Sheets and pillowcases stay fresher for longer. When you do need to care for your bedding products the laundering process is no different from regular bedding care, making them easy and convenient to care for
- Environmentally Friendly: SilverGuard bedding can go longer between washings, which means you save on water usage and detergents, which in turn is beneficial to the environment. SilverGuard bedding can also be laundered at lower temperatures resulting in less energy and water usage and longer product life.
Find out what people think about our bedding
* IONIC+, formerly known as X-Static
For more information, please contact us at:
t: 0207 538 2678
SilverGuard is a UK-based company which produces an antimicrobial textile range using Noble Biomaterials renowned IONIC+ antimicrobial silver thread technology. Our current consumer product range includes bed linens, towels, baby & children’s clothing, face coverings and more.